Monday, January 25, 2010

"1915 Armenian Genocide" poem

This is a poem I found online about the Armenian Genocide:

1915 Armenian Genocide

It was a genocide, something this world cant hide,

Even though they constantly deny,

The Turks are living a big lie.

Rewind back to 1915,

Something Im so thankful I didnt witness and see.

But, I can feel the pressure in me,

I lost a big part of my family to be.

We werent strong back then,

Let them try to pull another war again.

What? Is the world too blind to see?

Everything the Turks have done to my Armenian family and me?

Until this very same day,

I cant believe how theyve always turned us away,

And, I know as they say, there will come a better day.

But, its been almost 100 years since the genocide,

And, the facts their trying to bury, we are making it hard to hide.

Armenian Genocide it was on 1915,

Do a lil research, youll understand why our wounds still bleed.

And, they keep ripping deeper until this world does recognize,

That in 1915, the Turks committed the Armenian Genocide.

BY: Narine Chamichyan

This powerful poem corresponds seamlessly with what we have been discussing in class. It gives us a deeper understanding of what we have talked about, through the words of a genuine, Armenian woman. On the very first day of this class, one question arose: Have you ever heard of the Armenian Genocide? The answer was almost unanimously no. The reason for this is that the media has covered up this massacre. This idea is then exploited in the poem above, with the words: "It was a genocide, something this world can't hide, even though they constantly deny, the Turks are living a big lie." In addition, in the movie we watched during class, it was said that the Turks were the primary ones who refused to believe that the genocide even happened. Also, in the film, the narrators spoke about how almost every family was split apart in one way or another. This poem illustrates this by saying, "But, I can feel the pressure in me, I lost a big part of my family to be." In the movie, there was a scene describing how some of the Armenians rebelled against the Turks in a few courageous revolts. The angry defiance of these actions is reflected in the line, "Let them try to pull another war again."

This poem affects me emotionally because I can relate to the author's situation. Although I am "thankful I didn't witness and see", my grandmother and her family were in the holocaust and I too, "lost a big part of my family to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment