1: Yet again, the theme of universality. While not nearly as cruel as a Nazi death camp, the concept of a controlled, harsh internment camp that fundamentally changes people seems to have relevance everywhere in the world, in every context. At one point in the film, when one of the interned Chinese collaborators threatened Puyi with the wrath of the overseers, I couldn't help but be reminded of how interned Jews sided with the authorities to escape punishment, at the expense of their fellow victims.
2: How frightened the barbed wire on the wall of the camp made me, even though I knew that it was not an extermination camp. I think that this class is giving me (very) low grade camp.
On a related note to my mild camp, even comedies like Family Guy have become difficult to watch when they crank up the anti-semitism. There's making fun of everyone, equally, and then there's trying to make people laugh at allusions to the sniper scene in Schindler's list. Too far.
Connecting with "trying to make people laugh at allusions to the sniper scene in Schindler's list", I have recently found that there was a zombie level at the end of Call of Duty: World at War. To which I didn’t know how to respond because it is called Nazi Zombies, but I think it is a little too far after reading (and seeing pictures) on http://www.nazizombies.com/
ReplyDelete