Thursday, April 22, 2010

Grocery trading

As I mentioned in class, [as I had already read chapter 3] I believe Valdeks attempt to return opened groceries in exchange for brand new ones (page 9), was a perfect example of how the habits he developed in Auchwitz continue to influence him. We discussed in class the "concentration camp economy" which mostly consisted of trading necessity for necessity. In camp, Vladek is able to trade his food for protection, clothing, or relocation. He also exchanges talents like his ability to speak english, for food. He is constantly using food as a currency for other objects. This trading of objects was what helped Vladek to survive the camps, had he have not given Yidl food he would have not been protected from the crematorium. Vladek remembers the success he gained from trading object for object, therefore finds it hard to erase this mindset even after the war. He believes it is perfectly legitimate for him to return an opened box of cereals for another item better suited to his liking. Vladek hasn't quite readjusted to the concept of money. He sees value in the object itself as opposed to the price he pays for it. Vladek success in trading objects in the camps makes it hard for him to accept that the only thing of value in modern society is money, further evidence of his inability to forget the characteristics he developed in the war.

3 comments:

  1. Some very good points--once you survive the worst couple years of your life using certain techniques, it must be difficult to simply throw away all the skills you've gained. Vladek has a tough time realizing that now that he's out of the camps, people aren't so eager for a half-eaten box of cereal. Vladek;s magpie tendencies did indeed save his life over and over in the camps, but now that he's out, they instead drive everyone in his life away. Rather than using food and his skill as currency, Vladek now must change his lifestyle and use currency for currency. Imagine if someone suddenly told one of us that money no longer counted, and everything we learned is useless. In many ways, that is what Vladek must constantly deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good points Richard. After using these techniques for trading so many years ago, it would be difficult to let go, especially if those techniques saved your life. Though it does irritate everyone that is close to him, I understand his logic and reasons for doing such things. After living with such little food that any small scraps you may find could save your life, to merely throw half eaten boxes of cereal away seems like a crime to Vladek. Therefore, I don't scorn Vladek for his money saving ways, because without his resourcefulness or willing to save food during the war, he very well could have died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your two statements. It is very hard to let go of habits after having to be so frugal for so long. I admire his habits because I would not be able to carry out the things that he does. I also would not be able to keep hope throughout the whole war. I think it would be good for him to let loose and just spend some money to see how good indulgence feels.

    ReplyDelete