Tuesday, March 16, 2010

One thing I find odd about Nightfather is the attitude of the dad. Usually when we hear about Holocaust survivors, they're not willing to talk about their experiences at all. They're only concerned about forgetting what happened and moving on. This is probably because their experience was too painful to talk about or even think about. But the dad in Nightfather is the opposite. He is very open about his experiences and is more than willing to share what happens. He jumps at the oppurtunity to tell his stories from the concentration camps. He even makes oppurtunities for himself to talk about about it. This is completely different from the other survivors.

1 comment:

  1. I do think that most Holocaust survivors aren't willing to share their experiences, but I also believe there is a smaller minority that do speak and write about their stories, such as Elie Weisel. Though they do share their stories, I do think that there is a reluctancy that causes them to seem a bit unwilling, but it is, to me at least, perfectly understandable after the events they went through. I don't think any survivor is extremely open about what they went through because it isn't really dinner table conversation and so I do agree that the father is an atypical Holocaust survivor.

    ReplyDelete