Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fictionalizing the Holocaust

Wiesel believes that you can't fictionalize the Holocaust because that would be scorning its awful reality. But I have to wonder how far Wiesel's definition of fictionalizing goes. Does he count dramatization or hyperboles as fictionalization? After all, he constructed his memoir so that it would grasp the reader. Now maybe something like the Holocaust doesn't require any superfluous description, but it's entirely possible, probable, in fact, that Wiesel described certain events in a way that made them catch the reader's eye more than if he'd portrayed them exactly as he remembered them.

Some would argue that you can never really truly report the exact truth, because what one person perceives as true may differ from another person's perception. We all remember circumstances differently, and often warp our memories whether intentionally or not. The way Wiesel remembers himself in the hospital isn't exactly the same as his doctor remembers him; he doesn't remember the train ride the way the woman who screamed about fire does; nor is his memory of trudging through the snow the same as his father's. So which is real? Which memory shows the real truth? If it had been his father who recounted their stay in various concentration camps and he'd exaggerated or suppressed certain parts, would Wiesel consider that fictionalizing?

If yes, that begs the question of whether one can and should write about the Holocaust. If everyone's truths are skewed, how can we know that we're remembering what actually happened? Some say it's disrespectful to write about the Holocaust, that it's too horrible to be written down, that we must respect the victims' memories by simply remembering it. But if we don't write it down, what are the chances that we'll remember it at all?

2 comments:

  1. This post presents a very interesting point that I haven't thought about at all. When I first heard that he didn't think it's possible to fictionalize the Holocaust I didn't really know what that meant. Was it to say that it's impossible to make up a story about a fictional person going through the made up experiences because everything imaginable had already occurred? Or was it saying that it was an insult to the victims of the Holocaust? Whatever it is, I agree with Saya about how facts and fiction relies on the perspective of the different people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, Saya, that the truth can be skewed because of the different perspectives. I do believe that it is human nature to believe the victim, not the persecutor, because you instantly feel sympathy for them. (This is in the event that there is no information regarding the reliability of truth from either of the parties.) I think that he wasn't fictionalizing the Holocaust because of all the similar stories I have heard about the Holocaust. They could have been fictionalizing as well, but the line between the exact truth and the stories reported by the persecuted Jews is very thin. I love how you blogged about this issue because it calls for a fresh perspective on an issue that usually only has one side to it.

    ReplyDelete