Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hotel Rwanda--the second time around

For me, as well as a few others, seeing Hotel Rwanda in class wasn't the first time I've watched this movie. Yet the second time around, I noticed and felt things I hadn't before. (Possibly because the first time, I was so emotionally affected by the movie that most of what I'd seen, I'd seen through the cracks between my fingers as I covered my eyes).

I think a semester of learning about humanities' many atrocities has made me pay more attention to the individuals and their experiences, rather than the facts and statistics. This is what I think differentiates one genocide from another. Watching Hotel Rwanda for the second time, the scenes I watched closest were ones of human emotion--not ones of blood and gore. For example, Paul's relief at finding his family alive in the bathtub and Tatiana's hysterics when Paul decided to stay behind at the Milles Collines. If in class was not the first time you've seen Hotel Rwanda, did you find your reactions any different? How so?

No comments:

Post a Comment