Friday, May 21, 2010
The sorrow?
While watching Hotel Rwanda today I would often look around the room trying to see if any of my classmates has a certain expression on his/her face. Needless to say the movie was awful, terrible, gruesome, unimaginable... There was this particular scene which I think captivated everyone. It was at the time when the Belgium reinforce troops arrived, and the UN thought that they would stay and help. Of course we all knew their orders were to just provide the Americans and the Europeans a safe passage back home. While everyone was being loaded up to the bus a group of what looked like Rwanda orphans and nuns lead by a white priest ran up to the soldiers. Their expression showed relief and fear. When they were rejected everyone in that group was crying and absolutely terrified. The white people were told to separate themselves and leave. However, children were crying, trying to clutch onto the white nuns and priests who helped them. It was perhaps one of the most heartbreaking scenes. It resembled, was, a scene of forced separation. Everyone was screaming and crying as the children and other white nuns tried to keep holding hands, until at last they were forced apart. It was at this point I looked around me. Everyone I saw had a serious and sorrowful expression on their faces, as if they hated to see something so tragic. Perhaps it was the lost of innocence on the children's faces that was so striking. Maybe it was the sheer terror and chaos as hands desperately tried to touch together. Or maybe it was the hopelessness of the situation...As we all live in a comfortable world, what does it mean when orphans are forcibly separated from their saviors? What does it mean when we look the other way? What does it mean when we are the destroyers of simple happiness...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree completely. I too was struck by this scene and I'm sure it was clearly displayed in my countenance. It affected me most because I realized in that scene that not only were the Hutus and Tutsis being separated by the war, but the rest of the world was also separating themselves from the Rwandans completely. Our further creations of divisions in a place where these divisions were killing hundreds of thousands of people was astonishing to me. I am no expert on international relations and I do not have much insight into the reasons behind every nation's choice. I cannot say what we should have done as Americans, or reprimand the decisions of the French and Belgians. However, I do believe that as human beings, we should all see that killing is never and will never be okay. In the words of Terry Tempest Williams, "Strip us of our skin and we are all the same within" (376).
ReplyDelete