We saw Roméo Dallaire in the Ghosts of Rwanda movie, and we saw a fictional character that represented him in Hotel Rwanda. He makes a good point in a CBC article from 2003. Dallaire blames the American leadership for "projecting itself as the world policeman one day and a recluse the next." I agree with Dallaire. I am sure many of us feel disappointed that our government did not help Rwanda when there was clearly genocide and went to Iraq for weapons of mass destruction that may or may not have ever been there. I think that we shouldn't broadcast ourselves as world police, although it doesn't mean we can't help if we think we should.
It may just be because of hindsight, but it always seems that the government makes the wrong decision in the long run. Maybe it's because people will never be happy. I could go on for days with reasons why it seems that way, but the important thing to know is that when you realize the wrong decision was made, "should've, would've, could've" only gets us so far.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/dallaire/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment